|Picture - John Luker|
As it happens, I am the only candidate in the 38th Assembly race to be endorsed by the California League of Conservation Voters. Below is excerpt from Daily News staff writer Melissa Pamer's story and a campaign message (shot in late January):
"It's also fairly cheap to keep Santa Susana open, costing the foundation only a $21,000 donation to the California Department of Parks and Recreation, in part because there are no rangers stationed at the park. The funding will give Luker's group another year to raise money to keep Santa Susana open for longer - or allow time for the state budget situation to improve so that cuts to the state parks systems are restored. … The donation from the nonprofit, member-supported foundation will pay for the same services Santa Susana has now - a daily ranger visit and basic maintenance. The park is located where the Simi Hills and Santa Susana Mountains meet. An 8,000-year-old trail through the park was used by native Tongva and Chumash tribes before being turned into a wider but precipitous stagecoach road."
- A major reason why my family lives in the shadows of the Santa Susana Mountains is because we love the outdoors and the beauty of this environmental treasure.
- Because of partisan gridlock and fiscal mismanagement in Sacramento, dozens of state parks are to be shut down in 2012, including Santa Susana State Historic Park in the Simi Hills near my home.
- One my favorite childhood memories is visiting parks such as Santa Susana—and hiking and exploring—the endless acres of rocks and trees.
- As a parent, I feel a special responsibility to reopen our state parks—so that all of our children can enjoy them and learn to appreciate the meaning of recreation and conservation.
- Not only should our state parks be reopened, but they should be maintained with clean restrooms, drinking fountains and the immediate cleanup of graffiti.
- California MUST get its fiscal house in order. Voters should elect legislators who are pledged to solve problems, not pledged to pander to the special interests who got us into this mess in the first place.
- Please visit Edward2012.com for more information. I am asking you to vote for me on June 5th so that together we can get California “Heading in the Right Direction.”